The first week of school was great! My kids were fabulous, just as I expected... it's so much easier when you already know 16 out of the 17 kids in your class from last year! We hit the ground running, and I can't wait to see what all we will accomplish this year. I'm implementing a new literacy program that I read about this summer and fell in love with. It's quite a bit different than what I've done in the past, but it makes sense, and so far, the kids are doing so well with it!
This weekend Jeremy and I had the chance to see some of the movies at the Telluride Film Festival. We saw Up in The Air, which is by the same director as Juno. It was excellent! Well developed characters, clever humor that elicits laughter without references of a sexual or bodily nature, and George Clooney... what else could you ask for? Being in attendance at a screening introduced by Jason Reitman (the director) himself made it all the more interesting. It felt like a pretty main stream movie, so I'm sure it will be in theaters soon!
The second film we saw was The Road, staring Viggo Mortenson. It was INTENSE! Both Mortenson and the young boy in this movie did a superb job of acting, but the post apocalyptic struggle to remain alive despite gangs of cannibals, little food, and death's presence around every bend, as well as the journey south to find a place fit for human existence was a bit overwhelming. I think it was in the aftermath of nuclear war, but I'm not quite sure. I'm glad I saw it, but it's not one I will be watching again any time soon. Prior to the film screening, Viggo Mortenson was on stage right in front of us receiving the Silver Medallion Award. This man is an artist is so many ways... he speaks at least four languages fluently, is an exhibited photographer, a jazz musician with three albums, and much more...a true Renaissance man. He was soft spoken, but extremely genuine during his discussion with Ken Burns. It was very cool to see both of them in person.
A relaxing Labor Day, and then it's back to school! So much to do before summer break hits!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
NPS made Ken Burns an honorary ranger ... he even got the flat hat!
Post a Comment