Saturday, October 03, 2009

A Wonderful Saturday

This weekend I really wanted to get in a good hike... and what a hike it was! We broke out my Ouray Hiking Guide and looked through a few options on Friday night. Jeremy suggested Bear Creek, because we always see a lot of cars parked at the trail head, and according to the book it is a local favorite. It's even designated as one of the very few National Recreation Trails.

There was a warning that it would not be good for children or those who are not sure footed, but we were a little taken aback by what we encountered! Not only was there a 1600+ foot elevation gain (we were prepared for that), but the majority of the trip was made along what looked like goat trails on the edge of extremely sheer cliff faces! Jeremy and I almost turned back a few times, but Rex urged us on, and in the end I'm very glad we did it. There were some cool mine remains and great views of the mountains. I was proud of all of us!

Nearly four hours and 1500 calories later, we were eating a delicious dinner in town. Then we soaked in the hot springs to keep our muscles from tightening up too much and wrapped up the evening reading by the fire. Enjoy the pics!











No comments: