Sunday, January 28, 2007

An Excellent Day for Hiking!




I've been wanting to get out and hike for the last week or two. It's been warm (upper 30s and lower 40s) and sunny, but I've been worried about hiking on the snow packed trails. However, the recent demise of my trusty elliptical forced me to look for alternative forms of cardiovascular exercise. So I borrowed some yaktrax (like tire chains, only for your shoes) from a fellow teacher and headed out this afternoon armed with my camera, sunblock, and a bottle of water. I felt very comfortable in just a long sleeve shirt, yoga pants, and a vest. I walked along the Galloping Goose trail, which I hadn't attempted since the fall. It was just as beautiful and even more peaceful walking along the river. It was obvious several humans had passed along the trail (the snow was packed, making it much easier to walk on), but I saw no one else along the way. There was also evidence of another kind (it shows up much better in the white snow than on the typical dirt trail!) telling of four legged creatures enjoying the day. The birds singing and the sound of the river water rushing under the ice serenaded me into a meditative state. It felt amazing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love that middle shot dear... its a keeper!!