Sunday, September 07, 2008

The first week of my fifth year of teaching…

It started out better than in the past, with a fairly good night’s sleep before the first day with kids. This was a good sign… On day one, however, I found that I had not quite mentally prepared myself for the vast change I was facing in my kids. I LOVE looping, but one of the hardest things to deal with is that in June you send off your kids to third grade reading, writing paragraphs, and following directions. Two and half months later your faced with 16 little one who can barely write their names, maybe read some very simple sentences, and absolutely cannot follow more than one step directions! I was in shock the first day, but things went MUCH better for the rest of the week.

All that being said, I had a WONDERFUL first week of school! My kids are incredibly sweet and sooooo little! When compared to my kids from the last two years (who are now in third grade) they’re only half the size! I do miss the others, but they have been stopping by before and after school to talk and attacking me with hugs in the hallway and at recess. It’s nice to feel loved…

Once again, I have sixteen students in my class, eight girls and eight boys. They are all very sweet with few behavior issues other than talkativeness. And who can blame them? Even I find myself wanting to delve into each of their very interesting personalities! I can’t wait to learn more about them and see how much they grow in the next two years! Hope everyone is having a great end to summer/beginning of fall!

1 comment:

Tasha said...

Your class sounds amazing! I miss the classroom so much - and I miss you being across the hall. Happy beginning of the school year - I hope it is a great one!