My first ever Ski PE! For those of you who haven't heard of ski PE: every student in the district gets an entire day each week on the mountain with ski instructors while the ski resort is open. I didn't even go up on the mountain with the kids, and I was more nervous than they were! After nightmares last night concerning kids being unable to participate through some fault of mine, I beat the procedure to death in my head before school this morning. Getting sixteen six year olds dressed in ski gear and keeping track of skis, poles, boots, lunches, and other paraphenelia is a little overwhelming, but everyone was prepared and we were ready before all other classes! The kids were way excited...not only do they love ski PE in general, but there was 9 inches of new snow over night, so they were in heaven. People here (including six year olds) live for powder days. Last report told of happy children with full bellies from lunch who weren't even complaining all that much about the frigid temps.
As for me, back here at school...after a few meetings that weren't nearly as bad as they could have been, I was still left with time to work on other projects I'm responsible for. I was amazingly focused (until about ten minutes ago, when I decided to update this BLOG) and accomplished a huge amount of work.
Next week I'm going up with the kids after my beginning of the day meeting! I'm really excited, even though I will surely be humbled by the vast expertise of my students on the mountain. I felt I had made great improvements this past Saturday when I hit the slopes, but I am still, after all, very much a beginner and obviously not a native of Telluride!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment