Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My second post of the day...Must be having a hard time focusing on work...

Yesterday was of course Halloween, which in Telluride means PARTY! Everyone gets involved, and it's soooo cute! After lunch today my kids all dressed up in their various costumes and the entire elementary school paraded through town...some parents here can be VERY creative. One kindergartner was a slice of pizza, one was a playground (wrapped in turf with barbie sized playground equipment glued all over), etc. I let my kids vote on what I should be. The witch costume won out by a narrow margin, but they were deeply hurt when I failed to wear the green face paint I had originally planned on (a nasty allergic reaction resulting in swelling of the eyes, throat, etc. prompted the doctor to forbid me from wearing any makeup until we figure everything out).

It was an absolutely gorgeous day...not a cloud in the sky and a toasty 45 degrees! Our only obstacle was the packed ice and snow still remaining on the road from last week's winter storm. The kids just decided to skate down the street instead of walk though...they're always up for a challenge! All of the parents and shop owners lined up along main street and threw candy at the paraders (I think it's usually the people in the parade throwing candy at the bystanders...hmmm).

Once we got back to school we partied for two complete hours! They were pumped full of sugar just in time for their parents to pick them up. We're talking cupcakes, carmel apples, sugary juices, as well as candy, candy, and more candy. One parent did opt to provide grapes, crackers & cheese, and celery. But how much of that do you really think they ate? The teachers and I had a great after school snack! The kids then made jack-o-lanterns, various Halloween creatures with punch art (using a thumb tack to trace the outline so that light shines through when you hang it up in the window -- the kids absolutely love it, but "shhh" don't tell them it's a great way to improve their fine motor skills!), and playing Halloween Bingo.

It was an exciting day, but once the kids left I turned around and saw what a mess our room was! Cupcake smashed into the floor, sticky grape juice on the tables as well as the floor, paper everywhere! The only thing I'm sure of is that the thumb tacks from the punch art got put back in the bulletin board (we've had that issue previously). I did have a few students and their parents help me clean up after school, and tomorrow is a work day, so I'll have a little more time to scrub each and every surface again in between my million meetings. Hope everyone had as great of a day as I did!

PS... about my allergic reaction...I'm apparently all of the sudden allergic to something in my apartment...doing my best to figure it out by removing things that have been added/changed in the last week (eyes started swelling last Thursday). Went back to the doctor today and was prescribed some steroids to help with facial swelling and throat constriction, but we probably won't know for sure what it is until after I treck all the way to Grand Junction (a 2 1/2 hour drive) for testing with an allergy specialist this coming Monday. Luckily I feel (and look) pretty much normal after I've been out of my apartment for a good 5-6 hours...so I'm not too awful looking in the class Halloween picture!

No comments: