

In a year filled with firsts for me, this is a big one. The first time I'm away from any and all family for a holiday. The first time I'm disappointed in 60 degree, completely sunny weather (it's not very conducive to skiing). The first time I've ever cooked a whole turkey by myself! The first time I've had to seriously think about the high altitude cooking directions for the benefit of everyone else. Thankfully, there are still some things to remind me of home... talking for extended lengths of time with the entire family on the other end passing around the phone...watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade...eating turkey, hot rolls, pumpkin pie, corn, and mashed potatoes.
Lottie brought the turkey with her when she came down yesterday...it weighed 18 pounds! We had to continuously bathe it in cold water on Thanksgiving Eve to defrost it in time. Then, I had to get up bright and early this morning so there was enough time to cook it before our scheduled feast time at Suzanne's. It was definitely an interesting experience...I still feel like there's salmonella everywhere even though I've scrubbed all surfaces possibly touched by the uncooked bird. Lottie's pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, and corn dish were delicious. The turkey was pretty darn good too, if I say so myself. The carving wasn't nearly as efficient, nor the turkey as attractive as in years past when done by more experienced cooks, but I would definitely classify it as a triumph for two first timers.
Lottie brought the turkey with her when she came down yesterday...it weighed 18 pounds! We had to continuously bathe it in cold water on Thanksgiving Eve to defrost it in time. Then, I had to get up bright and early this morning so there was enough time to cook it before our scheduled feast time at Suzanne's. It was definitely an interesting experience...I still feel like there's salmonella everywhere even though I've scrubbed all surfaces possibly touched by the uncooked bird. Lottie's pumpkin pie, mashed potatoes, and corn dish were delicious. The turkey was pretty darn good too, if I say so myself. The carving wasn't nearly as efficient, nor the turkey as attractive as in years past when done by more experienced cooks, but I would definitely classify it as a triumph for two first timers.
It was a pretty good day, despite the sadness that went along with being so far away from the people who mean the most to me. I continue to be optimistic about ski lessons tomorrow and am looking forward to the copious left overs for the next few days.
No comments:
Post a Comment