



(All of the beautiful pictures above were taken by Jeremy, since I had forgotten my camera at school...I promised I'd give him credit!)
I am a midwesterner...seeing for miles and miles without obstruction is not new to me. However, when those views contain massive red rock towering overhead and winding canyons carved thousands of feet into the rock below, it is an amazing sight.
This weekend Jeremy and I took a leisurely drive west into Utah and became tourists in two different National Parks. Saturday we got a little bit of a late start (thanks to me insisting we go to the Ski Swap here in Telluride, at which we both purchased skis!) but made it to Canyonlands National Park with enough time to get in some pictures and a short hike. It was amazing! Although the clouds were definitely threatening and the wind was picking up, it never precipitated. With a jackets on, the 45 degree temperatures were pretty comfortable, and we had the place almost entirely to ourselves. As far as the eye could see was a vast canyon flowering within a canyon, both of which were surrounded by precipitous cliffs. It was absolutely amazing!
We stayed in Moab for the night, got up early this morning, and headed out to Arches National Park. The sky was somewhat clearer, but the temperatures remained the same, leaving the hikers a bit chilly in the shaded areas. This park was also impressive, but I personally enjoyed the Canyonlands more. There are huge rocks...I'm talking the kind that rise thousands of feet out of flat ground. To top it off, many of them have centers that have eroded throughout time, leaving literal arches in the air. Also seen were "petrified" sand dunes created when sediment that blew in over the dunes compressed them into rock and later eroded.
From Arches we took 70 back to Junction and suppressed the shopping bug before heading back home via the normal "boring" route. We thought about hitting the Colorado National Monument and taking the scenic route through a red rock canyon home, but decided it would be more impressive if left to a day of its own. We did, however, drive "through" an impressive storm out in the desert on our way to Junction. You could see the rain pouring down in torrents for miles, but in one area it was almost like a curtain lifting. You could seeing the sand dunes in brilliant sunlight just on the other side. And of course there was a rainbow (I've seen more in the few months I've been out here than in the entire first 23 years of my life in the midwest). Furthermore, we saw a herd of antelope just off the highway. Jeremy made fun of me, but it was the first time I'd seen them outside of the St. Louis Zoo...I was a little excited!
It was a fabulous weekend, but I guess it's back to work tomorrow (not that I don't love every minute of work too). One more week with the kiddos before Thanksgiving break. They get a well deserved week off, while the teachers are forced to attend two days of meetings prior to being released for some rest and relaxation...or more like serious over eating, long naps, and maybe even a bit of skiing!
4 comments:
Sounds like a great time, and the pictures, once again, are just amazing!-Jessica
(by the way, it took me forever to remember my blogger account so I could comment...)
Looks like you are feeling better and having a great time!
I am so jealous! You have such a beautiful place to enjoy. Enjoy your Thanksgiving, we will miss you at grandmas. Right now I am enjoying my Couple of days off school for Deer Season. Oh the joys of small town life! - Lisa
Let's try this again!! I typed it once and it dissapeared.
It looks beautiful you and the scenery. Did I mention you look F-A-B-U-L-O-U-!!!! I am so jealous. I'm glad you are exploring the wild outdoors and are so HAPPY!!
Only a month until I get to see you woohoo!!!
The voice is back to 75% by the way! woohoo!!!
Have a good night
Post a Comment